Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mrs. Noodlekugel


Author: Daniel Pinkwater
Lexile measure:  not known, probably around 400
Language:  No swear words, no potty language.
Violence: none
Big Kid Mature Topics:  The kids in this story disobey their parents openly in favor of the maintenance man and get away with it.
Illustrations: black and white shaded drawings nearly every page
Plot: mildly complex.

I had high hopes for this one since I read the review in Parents Magazine.  One of the really big events of my childhood was when I received a letter from the Pinkwaters after asking them a question about "Superpuppy".  DD thought it was good enough to read to DS (now 2 1/2 and asking for chapter books), but I mostly see her curled up with Wizard of Oz.  Personally, I was disappointed.  The book is a romp, sort of like Pippi Longstocking.  The children disobey their parents and then have a really great time with an older lady, a talking cat and some interesting mice.  Their cookies come alive and dance around.  But there isn't really any point to the plot.  It doesn't really go anywhere, it just presents a fun escapade.  The variety of vocabulary used is limited.  I found myself resisting the urge to count the number of times the word "said" was used.  The dialogue is rather flat.  For a book this length, there should be more.  However, if your kids like this book, you can tell them that the Pinkwaters answer their fan mail.  If they don't, maybe you can make it up to them by fixing a noodlekugel.


No comments:

Post a Comment