Monday, May 14, 2012

Does early reading cause eye damage?

My daughter had her opthalmologist appointment today.  We posed the question, "Could reading at such an early age cause eye damage?"  The answer was, "There is no need to fear any permanent damage to the eyes caused by reading small print at an early age."

Younger children do tend to be somewhat far sighted, meaning they have to use their eye muscles more to focus on print near to their face, but not all young children are far sighted and even those who are are usually mildly so.  So, reasonable amounts of novel reading should not cause a problem.  Excessive reading may cause temporary eye strain.  I remember this well as a child.  However, the headache always went away after I put the book down for a while.  I am very myopic, but the eye doctor assured me, it is not from reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment