Sunday, May 13, 2012

Should I buy a Tag Reader for my precocious reader?

We got a Tag Reader a while ago as a present.  By that time, my daughter was already reading novels independently, so we were skeptical and even contemplated returning it.  But as it turns out, it is one of her favorite toys.  She probably plays 3 or 4 times a week.

Now, we did skip the phonics books entirely.    I don't hear my daughter using the reading function very often, but the games in the game books are less stimulating than video games and still encourage interaction with books, and the maps are really fun.   The pen is nice for encouraging proper pencil grasp.  My child already  knew the states and the planets pretty well, but the Tag maps make for fun review.  She doesn't think its boring at all.  I usually have to forcibly pry the pen from her hand when her 30 minutes are up. 

Be aware, they do eat up batteries (buy replacements with your reader) and if you do happen to buy the maps, they don't come with the reader unless you specifically buy a bundle package.  The Tag reader does work with Tag Junior books, but I've heard the reverse is not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment