Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pippi Longstocking


Author:  Astrid Lindgren
Lexile measure: 870
Language:  No swear words, no potty language.  Pippi uses language disrespectful to adults (teachers, police) regularly throughout the book.
Violence:  None, except for the implication that Pippi's father is lost at sea
Big Kid Mature Topics:  See above.
Plot:   complex.  I think most chapters could be read independently of each other (not all), but I do not think doing so will help you avoid most of the issues above.

This book is rolickingly fun.  All the stuff that you wish you could do as a kid--eat candy, skip school, live by yourself without any adults to tell you what to do.  My daughter really liked this book, but in all good conscience, I could not finish reading it to her.  I really felt like my daughter did not need to read something that glorified the mocking of authority so blatantly. Some children may find the idea that she is an orphan very scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment