Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Girls books, boys books--does it matter?

When my DD was born, I learned that our society is in some ways becoming very gender segregated.  Castles come in pink versions and blue versions.  Leap frog toys come in purple and green.  Clothes are not gender neutral, even for babies.  For example, if  I want to buy a red coat for my daughter,  I have to shop in the boys section.  I don't consider myself much of a feminist.  However, there are many wonderful books out there that don't deserve to be gender segregated.  So, I challenge you to buck the trend!

Here are some ways this works for the younger set:
1)  Young children may like a book for quirky reasons.  My boy likes Cinderella because of the dogs in the last picture of our particular version.  There isn't anything about those dogs in the book.  They're just in the picture.  Same thing for his manners book.  There's a part of a truck on one page.  He loves that.  Nothing about trucks in the actual text at all!

2)  A child may like one of the supporting characters more than the main character.  My daughter has a serious fascination with the dragon of St. George and the Dragon.   It is currently chalked (in hot pink) on our driveway.

3)  Some books are just so well written that they speak to everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment