Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Roxie and the Hooligans


Author: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Lexile measure: 960 (but I think this is more of a middle reader for 2nd grade level and up, not for middle school)
Language:  mild name calling specifically relating to big ears
Violence:  playground bullying, two thieves with knives who threaten to use them on people if they catch them (no actual knife usage on people)
Big Kid Mature Topics:  bullying, stealing food and water when thirsty/hungry vs. stealing money from a bank.
Illustrations:very cute black and white shaded paintings, every several pages
Plot: moderately complex


This was a fun book.  The heroine is remarkably resourceful and courageous, and she likes to read, which would be a lot like your kid(s) and mine.  I think my daughter will like this one, except I'm not sure about the thieves with knives part.  That might be too scary.  This would be a great one for Kindergarten and up, especially if your kid is ok with things like pirates.  But it wouldn't be ok for a 3 year old sensitive early reader.  If your child is too young for this book, "My Father's Dragon" would be a great alternative in the survivalist genre.
Update:  My daughter loved it and did not find it scary at all.  She wanted me to read it again until I showed her the Magic Schoolbus book I had checked out...

No comments:

Post a Comment