Sunday, April 29, 2012

Winnie the Pooh


Author:  A.A. Milne
Lexile measure: 790
Language:  Acceptable, no swear words, no potty language.  I think the worst that it gets is when Pooh  is referred to as being of "little brain" and when Eeyore  says that some animals have "nothing but fluff" in the their heads (which is true, but I'm not sure I'd want my kids saying that to another kid, KWIM?)
Violence: Christopher Robbin carries a toy gun and shoots it at Pooh in the first chapter.  Some kids might find the idea of a "Heffalump" or a "Woozle" overly frightening, since Piglet is frightened of them.
Big Kid Mature Topics:  Milne does kind of make light of Christopher Robbin's spelling.  If your child can't spell, they won't get it, but its not essential for most of the book.
Illustrations:  black and white line drawings, every few pages
Plot:  mildly complex.   This book is meant to be read in sequence, but it would not be badly harmed if you read some chapters and skipped others.

My kids love Pooh.  I think it's all the songs.  I have to sing them, too!  Seriously, though, these books are better written than their Disney counterparts (though my daughter feels that the illustrations would be better if they were in color) and in some ways are best read in early childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment